Saturday, December 22, 2007

Tis the Season...

...for slacking off. I know, naughty Jack will only be getting coal this year because of his failure to update his wine blog. So here I am, almost two days before zero hour, trying to show Santa I should be on the nice list. Thankfully I have 11 days away from the little whipper-snappers to try and rededicate myself to this site.

Let's start with some recent tastes. Last night was the 2005 Sebastiani Sonoma County Chardonnay. Whenever I have some looking for a value wine, no matter the varietal, I always point them towards the good folks at Sebastiani. Quality wine at an affordable price. With that in mind, I am not in love with this Chard. It's got good body to it, but too much butterscotch aromas and flavors, as well as a touch too much oak. I liked it, just not ready to commit to it.

If you remember, I lauded Rochioli for their Sauvignon Blanc back in August. My only problem was that I didn't have room in my luggage for another bottle, so the Pinot came home and the Sauv Blanc would hacve to wait for another day. Amazingly that day came last week. I was wandering through Cask N' Keg in Mystic, when behold, a bottle of Rochioli Sauvignon Blanc was eyeballing from across the way. The memories came flooding back and I just had to buy the bottle. I honestly didn't look at the price till I got to the register out of fear my conscious would tell me to return it to the shelf. When we opened it the other night, it only confirmed what I already new, the 2006 Rochioli Russian River Sauvignon Blanc is the greatest Sauv Blanc I have ever had. Body like a Chard, and smooth flavors of grapefruit and lime.

We also recently had one of Katie's stalwarts, the 2005 Ravenswood California Vinters Blend Zinfandel. Ravenswood's wines have not seemed as good to me since we tasted there and I was let down by the horrible service. This wine is thier standard fare and meant to be an easy drinking everyday type of wine. That's exactly what it is. It seems flat for a Zin, lacking any real punch or zest. It came across as almost watered down and so blah. But my palate is mine, and Katie's is hers. If she likes it, then she can enjoy it as much as she likes!

I'll try and stay diligent with posting this week, seeing as I have zero obligations outside of the Patriots and family (not in that order of course). Till next time..."Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy."--Benjamin Franklin

No comments: