Friday, April 18, 2008

"I'm not dead yet!"

For those of you missing the title's reference to Monty Python, shame on you. For everyone else, I'm back. No lies, the CTwineguy needed some time to recharge his batteries and refocus his wine related life. For my very few, very loyal readers, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. For everyone else, the days of $100 Cabs and rare Oregon Pinot are on the shelf for awhile due to monetary reasons. Have no fear, the blog must go on, even on a budget.

We'll start the show off with some budget box buys. First up is Trove California Chardonnay. While my wife and I are still fanatic about Black Box's Napa and Monterey Chardonnays, we wanted to explore some more cost effective boxes. Trove's was a big flop. It was drinkable at around $15 but seemed too syrupy with some hints of vinegar. I wouldn't recommend it, unless your only intentions are a cheap buzz. And in that case just hit up the Boone's Farm

The next box was more successful. And it passed the first test when we bought a second box of it. Boxstar's 2007 South Eastern Australia Chardonnay is a hit at around $18. Similar in flavor to the Black Box, but less refined with more fruit. I still prefer Black Box but thoroughly enjoy Boxstar's price tag.

We'll be back real soon (I swear this time) because I actually have a restaurant review to do before I forget. Till next time..."On second thought, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place."--King Arthur

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you back Brother. I was thinking about you the other night when I saw a commercial for Fisheye Box wines. I'm curious your thoughts. I know it's going to be tough to be on a budget but it will all be worth it when Katie can add that Ph.D to her name. Hope you are enjoying your vacation but it's back to reality tomorrow. Ugh.

Silveradohd59 said...

Welcome back wine dude.

Anonymous said...

Hey Bud,
Glad to see you back in blog world! While the box wines may not be exactly what your palette would like, they can do for awhile. I'm so proud of you and Katie...you are wonderful people!!!

Amy W. said...

Great blog! I am looking forward to trying some of your suggestions and am excited to have found some fellow food & wine fanatics out here - now I have an excuse to get back into it :)