Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Two for One Special

Here's two quick nuggets from recent adventures in wine:

First off a long awaited review of Dev's on Bank in New London. Dev's focus is a Tapas menu similar to that of Barcelona in New Haven. So be prepared for small portions, but small prices as well. The food though, was simply delicious. I started with some Wasabi Encrusted Scallops. The scallops themselves were cooked to perfection, sumptuous and juicy. My only beef was that the breading wasn't strong enough for my taste. I don't want just a hint of wasabi, I want to feel that its there on my taste buds. Next was a plate of Crab Cakes. Here's a hint, if you like crab cakes, order them here. There meaty and flavorful, just what you want in crab cakes. Third was Salmon Bites with an Asian Dressing. Once again, the salmon cooked just right, but the sauce a bit weak for me. And I know part of it is just my taste, but a little extra cook would make the dish an A+. Finally, I wrapped things up with a small plate of Mongolian Pork Barbecue Ribs. Now when I say small plate, I really mean a healthy portion. These ribs are covered in a smoky Hoison sauce that is just phenomenal, a true East meets West dish that was so rich and flovrful, I couldn't have eaten an entrees worth if I tried. The tapas portion is just right, and ohhh sooo gooood. So check out Dev's on Bank in New London, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

The other bit was the return of our friend Amanda from South Africa. And of course, she was so kind to have a bunch of friends over to sample some of the wine she brought back. Before I type anymore, I'd like to thank Amy over at "A Wiseman Once Said" for doing all the leg work with the winery names and info. Please check out her review as I add in my two cents here.

First, the 2006 Zevenwacht Chenin Blanc from Stellenbosch. Amy hit the nauil on the head, crisp and delicious with some pineapple tossed in. Chenin Blanc is one of my favorite white varitals. The problem is where to find good bottles in America. The Loire Valley in France turns out some gems, but good luck finding them. Chenin Blanc produces a similar flavor profile to Sauvignon Blanc and when done right can be just as wonderful of a summer wine.

Next was Zevenwacht's 2004 Syrah. To me it was powerhouse Syrah. Lots of smoke and spice. It actually felt more like a Zinfandel to me than Syrah. I really enjoyed it, but it would definitely be out of some people's realm of enjoyment. A lot of people balk at the idea smoked meat aromas in their wine. But as I mentioned after the visit to Channing Daughters, it can be a terrific aroma if the flavor backs it up. Pair this wine with a good pot roast and you'll be amazed at the pairing.

Finally was Clos Malverne's 2005 Auret Cab/Pinotage blend. I loved this wine. Nice and dry with that Cab profile and strong berry flavors. Pinotage is a hybrid of Pinot Noir and Cinsaut (or Hermitage in South Africa). I think it would be a shame to mix Cab and Pinot Noir, but this blend of Pinotage and Cab works wonderfully (similar to the Cab/Syrah blend in Swanson's Alexis). You end up with the dark color and dry tannins of a Cabernet, but also get the warm red berry flavors of the Pinotage. This had to be the winner of the night in my book.

Well, the last movie quote trivia didn't go so hot. Either people don't read my blog (most likely) or the quote was too hard (possibly). So we'll try again. Remember, correctly answering the quote's movie and character will net you a taste of something special from our cellar! And no cheating! Till next time..."What's the matter, Danny? Never taken a shortcut before?"--???

6 comments:

Amanda said...

The Auret was also my personal favorite of all the wines I tried. The woman I talked to at the Vinyard mentioned that she thought it needed 2 more years to age properly, so I'm going to do my very first wine aging experiment and save it...

Anonymous said...

Thanks to google I can guess!! LOL

Sgt. Nicholas Angel from Hot Fuzz

Anonymous said...

Using Google isn't cheating, is it??? :)

Anonymous said...

I'd like to think of it as being resourceful!

Like son, like mother!

John said...

I don't know Mom. I might let it slide this one time.

Amy W. said...

I loved the Auret as well. It didn't stand out to me as much as the Syrah. but I liked it more. Good luck Amanda on keeping it around for two years without drinking it!