Sunday, August 17, 2008

On the Rebound

Most people, in any situation, realize that a let down should be followed by an experience that you know will be a sure thing. For example, you try a new recipe for dinner and it turns out horrifically horrible. The next night you'll return to one of your old standbys, a sure fire tasty treat. Wine is no different of course. So last night I needed to erase the Cask 23 from my mind. That meant pulling out some wines that I knew would not be another let down.

After my first attempt at Striped Bass, which came out quite well, we decided to open up some wine from the cellar. Instead of gambling a wine thats been resting for three or four years, I pulled out a more recent addition, the 2003 Alpha Omega Cabernet Sauvignon from Napa Valley. I discussed my visit to Alpha Omega way back when, and had three bottle of their wine shipped back home in November. I pulled out the '03 Cab seeing as the other wines were both '04s. Thankfully, there was no let down this time. The Alpha Omega Cab, I believe I paid $50-$60 for it, out performed the Cask 23 by leaps and bounds. We risked drinking it without food, but taking that chance paid off. It's a light Cab, with a velvety smoothness that simply caresses your mouth. AO describes their '04 Cab as "power with a feminine touch." The '03 may be lacking in the power department, but not in flavor and finesse. I'm looking forward to having the '04 as well as their proprietary blend in the future. If you see any Alpha Omega, snatch it up, you won't be disappointed.

Next up was the 2005 Cristom Pinot Noir Sommers Reserve from Willamette Valley. My love for Oregon Pinot is only surpassed by my love for my wife. This bottle was picked up over at Thames River a month or so ago. As soon as this wine wafted past my nose, I was in for it. Such a shining example of Oregon's finest grape. The aroma of fruit and earth blending together is breath taking. The winemaker narrows it down to black cherries, currants, orange zest, leather, and vanilla. Either way its intoxicating. The palate is balanced and lush, with more red fruit flavors than the nose. The finish was slight and soothing, like the smell of the inside of an oak barrel. We didn't make it to Cristom on our last trip to Oregon, but we definitely will next time we go.

In the end, it was a pleasant recovery from the near traumatizing Cask 23 incident. Till next time..."How could I forget about you? You're the only person I know."--???

5 comments:

Amy W. said...

I thought both of last night's red choices were delicious.

John said...

I'm glad you liked them. I really adore the AO. They may be new to the game in Napa but get the job done.

Amanda said...

I agree with Amy. THanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Hey John, yeah I don't spend a lot of time comparing and contrasting every last famous Napa cab, but that Cask 23 was a real eye opener. I was tickled to open this mythical bottle, and it just was flat... how can a 2000 bottle be shot? No acidity or structure at a relatively young age, it can only get worse. My cure: Gaja Sito Moresco 2005 (primarily Cab) which just blew off every California Cab of recent memory at $54!

John said...

Hey Dave, thanks for dropping by the Blog. I have yet to try the Gaja but have heard wonderful things. It'll have to be on my to do list! Thanks!