Saturday, July 18, 2009

Time for a Fresh Start...and Steak

Clearly I haven't been writing all that much, seeing as my last post was from our anniversary dinner in January. But with the rebirth of my Patriots' Blog over on theday.com just a week or so away, I realized I need to make myself post here, or else it will never get done. So here's hoping Saturday mornings become coffee and blog time. A chance to wake up and catch up on the week that was.

Last night Amanda and I made plans to taste some wine then head out to dinner in New London. We also invited our friend Greg along to "be classy" for an evening. Obviously I underestimated the classiness of the night when I arrived in jeans, a polo, and converse, because there was Amanda in a classy black dress, and Greg looking just as classy in black slacks and a black dress shirt. I have failed you two, and for that I am still sorry.

So after tasting wine at Thames River Wine & Spirits (where I managed to keep the credit card in my wallet) we headed down Bank Street to Dev's. Most of you know just how much I love Dev's, and I was planning on ordering just from their delicious Tapas side of the menu. Things changed when the waitress shared the night's entree special. An 8oz Beef Tenderloin with a Bacon and Sun-dried Tomato Demi topped with Crispy Fried Onions. You had me at Bacon. Of course I had to start the night with a couple Tapas. First up was Captain Tom's Fish and Chips, a solid sized portion of Tilapia wrapped around spicy remoulade with some fresh homemade chips. Pretty delicious. I followed that up with Katie's favorite, the vegetable dumplings. Greg ordered the new Basque Ribs to start. I liked the old Korean BBQ Ribs, but they were so rich they left you unable to eat thing else as they stuck unmercifully to your chest. The dry-rubbed Basque ones were tasty and much more enjoyable, due to the fact you could continue your meal. Amanda went for a full Tapas dinner, unlike Greg and I who went for the steak. Her meal had some of the usual suspects, Toasted Goat Cheese and Crispy Meatballs. She also tried the Fish and Chips, and commented how nothing is like the fish and chips in England (which I am dying to try). But her real winner looked to be the Miss Saigon. A puff pastry filled with pork goodness. Amanda graciously allowed me a bite, and it was epic.

When the steaks arrived, Greg and I were a little giddy. They looked so tantalizingly tasty. First off, they were no 8oz. I've had 8oz of steak and this was more, quite a bit more. They were at least 10oz maybe 12oz of juicy beef (that's what she said). The demi was a perfect partner for the steak. I know there are steak purist out there who feel the steak should be untouched and left to shine on its own, but some ideas are too good to ignore, like Bacon and Sun-dried Tomato Demi. Just taking a bite of the soaked bacon was an adventure for the taste buds. It was a fabulous entree, the steak cooked just as I liked it, the onions adding an extra bit of texture, and the demi holding it all together like glue. Three cheers for the person at Dev's who dreamt this up!

If all goes according to plan I'll be back next week with some more comments on food, wine, and life in general. Till next time..."You stay classy San Diego."

1 comment:

Lester said...

Nice! I miss Dev's :(