Friday, November 21, 2008

Going Up River

For the first time in months I actually had a Wednesday night off. I decided to maximize this opportunity and milk it for all it was worth. That meant a night at the Up River Cafe for half-off wine night. Amanda and Kevin joined myself and Katie as we wined and dined on the finest Westerly has to offer.

While we awaited Katie's arrival, a bottle of white was to be ordered. Instead of trying something new Amanda and I settled on a wine we both had before and both loved, the 2006 Mulderbosch Chenin Blanc from Stellenbosch in South Africa. This is truly a tremendous wine. It's just sweet enoguh to be flavorful, without going over the top towards sweet Riesling territory. The citrus notes really round it into form. We then decided to order appetizers while waiting for Katie. I stuck with my usual, the Asian Fried Calamari. Calamari and Banana Peppers with those styrofoam like rice noodles covered in a sweet Thai chili sauce with a wasabi dressing on the side. Can you say b-rilliant? Amanda had the special, which was special indeed. Oxtail with goat cheese gnocci. It was done in some type of sauce that was too delicious to care what was in it. Kevin however, may have found the real winner just because it was so simple it was good. He had the French Fries. What's the catch you ask? They were fried in duck fat. Downright amazing!

We set aside some of the fries and oxtail, as well as glass of Mulderbosch for Katie as we waited for her (noticing a theme here) and began browsing the reds. While the Sequoia Grove Cab always sucks me in, I stayed diligent and looked away from the Cabs. Amanda narrowed it down to two Syrahs and we decided upon the 2005 Qupe "Bien Nacido Vineyard" Syrah from Santa Maria Valley in California. It was a rich, smooth wine, with berry aromas and cocoa on the palate. Think chocolate covered fruit and you're on the right track. Eventually Katie I arrived and we ordered entrees. Kevin and I had the Up River Burger, a delicious burger topped with Taleggio cheese, Pancetta, and Roasted Mushroom Chutney. Amanda had the regular burger with swiss, and Katie dove into the Tapenade-Marinated Loin of Lamb. Almost forgot, I started with the soup, butternut squash with bacon and shallots folded in. All the food was fantastic and filling, as it always is there.

It was wonderful time full of food, fun, laughter, and dance biscuits. Hopefully I'll be able to get another Wednesday night off in January to do it again. Till next time..." We're teachers on a sabbatical and have won the lottery."--???

3 comments:

Amy W. said...

I am SO sad I missed this.

Amanda said...

My glorious oxtail was marinated and warmed up like dance biscuits in a red wine reduction.

Anonymous said...

It's not my fault the stupid bacteria too forever to grow and people decided to drive 25 mph down rte 32...the dinner was well worth the wait though.